In short, it’s the chronic use of a substance despite harmful effects. People can abuse and become addicted to a lot of things, like: nicotine, caffeine, opioids, stimulants, etc. And it can happen for a variety of reasons: peer pressure/trying to fit in, to feel “better”, to improve performance.
If you or a loved one are struggling with possible addiction, here are a few things you can look out for:
- Have you been wanting to stop using, but are unable,
- Do you have cravings for the substance,
- There has been continued use even when it causes problems in relationships,
- Developed a tolerance (it now takes more use of the substance to get the desired effect),
- Experience withdrawals that are relieved by using more of the substance.
If this sounds like you or someone you know, reach out. Get help. We are here for you.
PNSOC is Orange County’s Preferred Psychiatrist. We work with numerous addiction and substance abuse facilities.